Helicopter ride into Arop village…

by mendibpng

Yesterday started bright and early for us; however, we waited for a couple of hours at the airstrip for the clouds and fog to lift. Finally, we were on our way!

When he saw that my hands were full, our pilot Johannes Rehm helped walk Jenny Beth to the helicopter.

When the helicopter started up, Jacob protectively put his arm around Jenny Beth. He was ecstatic the whole day!

One thing we loved about this trip was being able to see the landscape so well. We flew closer to the ground in the helicopter than we usually do on the Kodiak plane. Ellie’s looking out over the beautiful highlands mountains in this picture.

Noah had a chance to be copilot!

Flying over beautiful Wewak…

And finally circling over the Arop Community School, where we would land. Ben tells me that as soon as he heard the helicopter coming, he started running.

Everyone took a break from school to come and see the helicopter land! When Jacob saw his daddy he said “Daddy, I found you!”

I felt gratitude like I’ve never felt when the helicopter left. Usually we arrive in the village all hot and sweaty and with black and blue backsides from sitting in the back of a pickup truck  after 2.5 to 12 hours drive. All this happens after having been on another airplane for 3 hours. We arrived in the village in less than 5 hours total with only a 5 minute walk to our house. In less than a 1/2 hour, the twins and I were all taking a nap.

Sometimes as a missionary I assume that I must chose the hardest thing. Yesterday showed me that this is not always the case! I signed up for hardship because I knew that God had called me to this life. However, every once in a while an unexpected blessing arrives and I am flooded with thankfulness. The helicopter ride did that for me yesterday.

Ben arrived here 3 days earlier than me  giving me a head start on the ‘normal’ cleaning that takes us 2-3 days at least. He swept out all the cobwebs, ant dirt and cockroach/bug droppings. Then he disinfected shelves and counter tops.  When I arrived, he started putting things away in the kitchen. This morning it only took a couple of hours to get our food rat proofed (well, as much as possible) and stored for the next six weeks.  This afternoon I will finish washing all of the dishes in our kitchen  so that I know everything is clean for the whole village stay. Tomorrow Noah and Ellie will start homeschooling.  Ben has been at the translation desk all day with the Onnele men.

Oh, and internet is working great!

The kids and I are dealing with normal transition stuff–we tend to be more on edge emotionally and all of us are tired. But as soon as I post this, I am going to talk to them about being grateful because it is so good for the soul to be aware of our blessings.

Psalm 118

28 You are my God, and I will praise you;
    you are my God, and I will exalt you.

29 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

4 Comments to “Helicopter ride into Arop village…”

  1. LOVE this! Who knew a trip to the village could be not only easy but also FUN??? 🙂

  2. Apinun Wantok!
    I spent my high school years in Papua New Guinea. I went to bible school with Johannes Rehm in Germany, and wondered what he was up to. To my surprise, he is in PNG! Do you happen to know how I may contact him?

    • hi Kirk! apinun tru! Yes, he’s flown us several times into our village. 🙂 We let him know you are wanting to contact him!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: