Archive for September, 2010

September 28, 2010

Wheels in Motion…

by mendibpng

Now that I have had time to reflect over the last week, I would say that the thing that stands out the most to me is how a whole host of people stepped in to get my baby girl to get the medical help she needed, and also those who visited me (in Cairns) and Ben here in PNG (he had childcare help often and meals brought every single day I was gone!)  Added to this were phone calls and e-mails that we had from family and friends encouraging us with the words that they were praying for us.  So now you’ve heard my global statement, on to the details….

As we were preparing to leave for our village stay (where we would consultant check the book of LUKE finally) we were also gearing up for a week long family holiday in Wewak, our regional center.  I was picturing how we would stay at our mission guest house and visit a local hotel that has one of the cleanest pools we have seen in PNG.

During the week, Jenny Beth had a cold. She didn’t have a fever, and was acting normal, getting into trouble with her brother.  However, at night she was getting a bit raspy and wheezy sounding.  I didn’t think it was serious but decided to take her into our clinic on Friday before the weekend, just to see if they found anything. It turns out that her oxygen saturation levels were in the mid 80’s, so the doctor ordered a nebulizer treatment and gave us an inhaler to give her that night if she needed it.  I did give it to her twice and each time she was breathing easier.

The next morning I took her down to the clinic again at 9:00 am, fully expecting that they would take a look at her and send us home again. Not so!  Her oxygen levels were still in the mid 80’s…and as the morning progressed they gave her various treatments and finally put her on oxygen.  I started realizing that we would not be leaving on Wednesday for the holiday and wondered if our village stay would be delayed too.  At that point I called down to Ben to see if he could come be with us, and Beth, our teammate, was thankfully available to go be with our 4 other children.  By early afternoon, Jenny Beth’s readings were even lower than when we first got there in the morning whenever they took her off the oxygen.  So with heavy hearts we heard to the doctor say “we have to make a decision right now.” I knew immediately he was talking about a medevac to Cairns, Australia.  If we waited too long, it would be impossible to fly out because our planes can’t leave in the dark.  We agreed with the doctor that it was better to go sooner rather than later, than stay and wonder if we had done the right thing.

The next hour was a flurry of collecting passports, overnight clothes and diapers for Jenny Beth and I.  Thankfully Beth was here to help me think of things that I might want to bring.  I was teary saying ‘goodbye’ to Jacob, knowing he wouldn’t have any idea what was going on.  The older kids (6,9 and 11) were big enough to know why I was leaving with Jenny Beth.

Various people met us at the clinic with documents and permission from the insurance to do the medevac and the clinic manager drove us to the airstrip where the mechanics and pilots were waiting with the KingAir ready to take us to Cairns. I cannot emphasize enough how touching it was to see all these people get into gear to help us.

The flight itself was really good, the only difficulty being that Jenny Beth kept trying to rip her oxygen tube out. I kept thinking about how her pediatrician here has said a few times how strong willed she is!  The pediatric nurse who came with us assured me that she would be with me during the evening while they figured out what to do with us at the hospital. When we landed, the nurse turned off Jenny Beth’s oxygen to see if her levels would go up now that we were at sea level.  Nope. They went all the way down again, which was a sign to us that we had made the right decision.

As soon as we landed an ambulance was there to meet us on the tarmac and I was thinking about my big boys and how they would have liked to be riding in it with us.  When we arrived in the hospital, we were seen right away, and ended up talking to three different doctors. I had brought all of her records from the US with me so they went over this, and ordered a ‘snotty nose test’ (testing her mucus) and an x-ray.  Their initial diagnosis was “bronchiolitis,” which ended up being the same for the whole time we were in the hospital.  Everyone was very helpful and kind.

The next few days were pretty much the same—nebulizer treatments, nurses taking Jenny Beth’s blood pressure and temp until the day the results came back in from her ‘snotty nose test.’ At first they were telling me that she was positive for influenza A, which could be H1N1.  I was a little intimidated by the lady who first told me about the influenza A—I felt like we were being treated like criminals (none of the other staff made me feel like that) but I plucked up the courage to ask a few questions and then take a breath and wait. We were under quarantine so anyone coming into our room had to wear gloves, a gown, and a mask.  It turns out that first result was a ‘false positive.’ PHEW.

I do have to mention here, that friends of ours came over as soon as they heard we were in the hospital.  It was a strange feeling because they were both in the hospital recovering from a serious car accident when I had visited them a year and a half ago!  I felt a lot less alone when I knew they were in town.  Several other visitors came as well; the final one being my teammate Beth who was able to book a flight out of PNG on Tuesday.  What a relief to have her there to help me watch Jenny Beth while I went to the bathroom or had a shower….I had to practice being assertive with the nurses (who were always kind and willing when I asked) to be able to do those things before Beth arrived!  The days in the hospital were really hard, especially because I had very little access to the outside world and I had back pain from the hospital bed and the medivac. I missed Ben. He is always really good in an emergency, able to make decisions under pressure. I guess there’s nothing like having a medivac with one of my kids to realize how much of a support Ben is to me emotionally.

Our biggest issue right now is deciding whether to go to the village or not.  On Oct 5, we our teammates will begin checking Luke for some groups and Acts for others.  In the case of Onnele, this will be the first large portion of Scripture checked for them—we have wondered how the sickness, etc., has been a spiritual attack in order for this not to happen.  We have been talking to our medical personnel and have asked if they would allow us to leave here on October 5. On Thursday we will be able to see the pediatric nurse and she will help us decide whether we can do it as soon as the 5th.

September 17, 2010

Happiness, joy, or a good liver?

by bzephyr

What’s the difference between joy and happiness? Well, it really depends on how you use the words. Some insist on a fundamental difference between these concepts rooted in the idea that we often base our happiness on happenings, while we can have a true inner joy despite what’s happening to us or around us: joy in the midst of suffering. I read Tim Hansel’s You Gotta Keep Dancin’ many years ago. Writing from the perspective of suffering with chronic pain after a climbing accident in the Sierras, he instructs us that we can choose to be joyful with God’s help no matter what our circumstances. It’s an awesome truth.

On the other hand, someone might use the word ‘happy’ in the same way if their happiness is not always based on their immediate circumstances. The way we actually use words is the biggest factor in determining their meaning.

In the Onnele languages, there are also different ways to express concepts such as joy and happiness, and different Onnele dialects may use one expression more commonly than another.

When we were checking over Luke 1:14 last week, we struggled with different ways to appropriately express joy and happiness in the various Onnele dialects. Speaking of the upcoming birth of John the Baptist, an angel tells Zechariah:

“You will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.” (NASB)

In the Goiniri dialect, they have translated it like this:

“Sa yene ese aiyem wamo. Ka pinuma mingklari ese nulu mela namo, ka nu ese ainem empo mela namo yemeiye.” (Goiniri translation)

“Na yu bai amamas nogut tru. Na ol planti manmeri bai i lukim dispela pikinini, na ol bai i amamas long taim dispela pikinini i kamap.” (readable Tok Pisin parallel translation)

“And you will rejoice greatly. And many people will see this child, and they will rejoice when this child appears.” (literal English back translation)

In the Wolwale dialect, Joel (pictured above) determined that it needed to be expressed a bit differently for his people:

“Yene ese samo woluporo. Ka pinuma mingklari ese nuru mela namo ka nu ese wolpun uporo e taim wu yemei.” (Wolwale translation)

“Na yu bai amamas nogut tru. Na ol planti manmeri bai lukim dispela pikinini na ol bai i amamas long taim em ikamap.” (readable Tok Pisin back translation)

“And you will really liver-good. And many people will see this child and they will liver-stomach good at the time he appears.” (literal English back translation)

Zechariah was troubled and filled with fear when the angel appeared to him, but there was good reason to have joy (or a good liver) in the midst of his trouble. His child would prepare the people for the coming of the Lord himself.

For more about the dialect differences in this verse, see the post over at the AGAPHSEIS blog.

September 16, 2010

A five week menu

by mendibpng

We have been going back and forth from our national training center (Ukarumpa) to our village (Arop) since 2002, but this is the first time we will be traveling there with five children…specifically with TWO babies.

One of the things I do to get ready for the village is prepare food.  We live amongst subsistance farmers so they don’t have enough food to support us and themselves.  This means that we need to bring our own food in.  Since we don’t have refrigeration, we dehydrate meat, beans, veggies and fruit to take with us.  Other supplies, like flour and rice, we either get from Wewak or Aitape (closer to the village but currently without any groceries).  This village stay will be five weeks, so we’re figuring out how much food, toiletries, school supplies, etc., we need for that time.  So for the next couple of days, my thoughts are full of questions like, “Did I put the baking powder on the list?”  and “how many times will I make bread/tortillas  in a week?” (pictured right is me a few years ago drying ground beef/mince)

I can’t close my first blog posting without adding pictures of my kids.

September 15, 2010

Jacob and Jenny Beth turned 1!

by bzephyr

We celebrated Jacob and Jenny Beth’s first birthday today! Their older brothers and sister helped Mom make the cupcakes.

One of Jacob’s favorite things to do is to try to throw toys into our fireplace. I’m not sure we should have given him a candle on his cake.

We let the twins celebrate their first birthday in the traditional way, letting them dig into their own birthday cake. Nice gotee, Jenny Beth. Jacob demolished his cupcake and then did his usually thing and helped his sister eat hers.

September 13, 2010

Goroka and Back

by bzephyr

We made it to Goroka and back today, and Noah’s passport renewal application was successfully lodged. We are so thankful to the U.S. Consular who frequently goes beyond the call of duty to make herself available to those of us who live a long way from the capital city of Port Moresby.

The most dramatic event of the trip today was slamming to a stop to avoid hitting some goats that chased each other into the road. Crowds of people were seen in the towns and along the highway. They will be celebrating 35 years of Papua New Guinea independence on the 16th.

September 12, 2010

Renewing a Passport

by bzephyr

Noah’s passport expires next July, so we need to begin the renewal process now. Since Noah is under 16, he has to be sighted along with both parents by the U.S. Consular in order to apply for a renewal passport. The consular will be in the town of Goroka tomorrow, which is farther on up the highlands highway from where we are now in Ukarumpa. So we made an appointment to see her. It’s a two-hour drive through beautiful mountains.

This last Friday, however, saw some significant unrest in Goroka and along the highway. For more info, see the article in the Papua New Guinea Post Courier here. The police apparently calmed things down over the weekend, so we will still go. But we’ll be traveling in a caravan with another car for extra safety.

September 12, 2010

Onnele Team Prepares for Final Checking

by bzephyr

Last week, I met with five Onnele translators at our regional center in Wewak to go over the Gospel of Luke and make sure it’s ready for final checking in October. From left to right, Dominic is from the Goiniri dialect of Onnele, James and Otto are from Romei-Barera, and Joel and Felix are from the Wolwale dialect.

These dialects are very closely related, but over the last eight years working with them, we have been constantly learning about their language differences and their need for separate (but related) translations. Where their languages are similar, we share translation decisions together, but where their languages are different, their translations must be different in order to effectively communicate the message of the Bible accurately, clearly, and naturally.

These are the northernmost varieties of a whole chain of related languages that spread across the mountains to the south. These men hope to not only continue translating God’s Word for their own people, but to someday help their neighbors to the south begin translation where there is no Scripture in the local language.

%d bloggers like this: